1. In order not to be heard, she pointed her finger upwards to _____ that someone was moving about upstairs.
A. whisper B. signal C. declare D. complain
2. It was _____ of Michael to inform us of his delay in case we got worried.
A. careless B. considerate C. patient D. generous
3. You _____ be careful with the camera. It costs!
A. must B. may C. can D. will
4. --- What if I do badly at the job interview?
--- _____. You should have confidence in yourself.
A. Give me a hand B. Take it easy. C. Congratulations! D. Take care!
5. He is a heavy smoker and even his hair _____ the smell of cigarettes.
A. gives up B. gives away C. gives off D. gives in
6. _____ in 2005, Disneyland in Hong Kong has enjoyed great success.
A. Having completed B. Completed C. Completing D. To complete
7. _____ the meeting is postponed until next week, we won’t be so busy.
A. Since B. When C. While D. That
8. The pretty girl is known _____ the public _____ a little film star _____ her excellent performance in a film.
A. in; as; with B. to; as; for
C. among; with; in D. by; for; because of
9. It was not until yesterday _____ he returned _____ to know the news.
A. when; that I got B. when; that did I get
C. that; that I got D. that; that did I get
10. _____ this crazy world changes us, nothing will ever change so much to the point _____ we are no longer friends.
A. However; where B. Whatever; where C. However; that D. Whatever; that
11. The number of children who have lost parents due to AIDS _____ to rise to over 27 million in 2012.
A. are expected B. is expecting C. are expecting D. is expected
12. --- Are you satisfied with what Alice did?
--- Not a little, it couldn’t be _____.
A. any better B. any worse C. so well D. so bad
13. --- Bad luck! I failed in the driving test yesterday.
--- _____ the great efforts you have made?
A. Despite B. Rather than C. Assuming D. Thanks to
14. Tom came to teach in China in 2011, _____ he had toured more than 60 countries.
A. when B. where
C. by which time D. during which time
15. No sooner _____ to Chengdu than he bought a fine house and settled down there.
A. be returned B. returned be C. be had returned D. had be returned
16. _____ program has been developed up to this date, but none of them are economical enough to be carried out now.
A. All B. Several C. Either D. Many a
17. _____ the fact that the old cars could not go as fast as modern ones, people still watched the race with a great deal of pleasure and excitement.
A. Thanks to B. Despite C. As far as D. Although
18. The engineer has spent one year working in the United States and discovered how things _____ overseas.
A. manage B. promote C. operate D. transform
19. This old dictionary has been of great _____ in helping me to learn the English language.
A. usefulness B. value C. price D. cost
20. Much to her delight, three _____ neighbors showed up and several of them even brought with them some candies and cookies.
A. dozen B. dozen of C. dozens D. dozens of