I was on a bus one March evening. The driver didn’t __1__ to start the bus soon because it was not yet __2__. A middle-aged woman got on. Tired and sad, she told her story __3__, not to anyone in particular. On her way to the station, half of her __4__ was stolen. The other half was hidden under her blouse, so she __5__ still had some left. A few minutes later, she stopped crying, but still looked __6__.
When all the seats were taken, the driver started the engine. The conductor began to collect fares. When she came to an old man in worn-out clothes, he __7__ that he had spent all his money when he had accidentally got on a wrong bus and now he was trying to go home. On hearing this, she ordered the old man to __8__ the bus. The old man was almost in tears as he __9__ her to let him take the bus home. The driver took the conductor’s side and repeated the conductor’s __10__.
The woman was watching the incident. __11__ the driver and the conductor raised their voices at the old man, she interfered (介入).
“Stop __12__ him! Can’t you see he’s only trying to get home?”
“He doesn’t have any money!” the driver __13__.
“Well, that’s no __14__ to throw him off the bus,” she insisted.
Then she reached inside her blouse, took out her __15__ money, and handed it to the conductor. “Here’s his fare and mine. Just stop giving him a __16__ time.”
All heads turned to the woman. “It’s only money,” she shrugged.
She rode the rest of the way home __17__ a happy smile, with the money she'd lost earlier __18__.
On the road of life, the help of strangers can __19__ our loads and lift our spirits. How much sweeter the __20__ will be when we make it a little smoother for others!
1. A. try B. care C. decide D. intend
2. A. empty B. full C. crowded D. ready
3. A. tearfully B. seriously C. carefully D. calmly
4. A. fare B. possession C. money D. wealth
5. A. strangely B. happily C. secretly D. fortunately
6. A. unsatisfied B. weak C. unhappy D. excited
7. A. explained B. declared C. admitted D. found
8. A. get off B. start C. get on D. stop
9. A. begged B. scolded C. praised D. thanked
10. A. request B. action C. suggestion D. command
11. A. Unless B. Although C. Until D. When
12. A. attacking B. bothering C. blaming D. pushing
13. A. warned B. whispered C. shouted D. repeated
14. A. problem B. need C. matter D. reason
15. A. spending B. collected C. remaining D. borrowed
16. A. busy B. cold C. hard D. fearful
17. A. giving B. wearing C. taking D. forcing
18. A. forgotten B. used C. earned D. returned
19. A. move B. increase C. lighten D. carry
20. A. world B. journey C. smile D. friendship